What Is Damp Treatment?

One of the biggest structural risks and health risks to any home is the presence of moisture, damp or mold. Now damp or mould may appear in any part of the home from the bedroom to the bathroom, the living room, and even the kitchen. There are many things that may cause dampness in your home such as a leaky pipe, damaged or improperly installed damp proof coarse, a burst geyser or a leaky roof, the best way to stop your home from becoming damp is to prevent it in the first place. Dampness is rare in climates that are dry, but it is not impossible. Damp walls are usually caused by due to various aspects as mentioned above it may be caused by leaks or wet carpets or furniture, and mould grows as a result of improper ventilation in the home, and high levels of humidity.

Most of these problems are preventable, or able to be fixed before the problem gets out of hand by implementing proper damp treatment. If you notice a leak anywhere in your home, ensure that you call a plumber as soon as possible to have the leak professionally handled, because having the leak fixed improperly, or not fixed at all, can lead to further costs down the line. If your furniture or carpet gets wet, ensure that there is proper ventilation in order to dry them properly, or have a professional assess the situation to find a method to dry any carpets or upholstery. A worthwhile gadget to invest in is a dehumidifier not only does it eliminate excess moisture from the air it can save you a lot of trouble, especially if you live in a particularly humid climate.

The health risks that come with dampness in the home are usually attributed to mold, which thrives in damp, warm and humid environments. The symptoms of having a reaction to mold can be similar to seasonal allergies or a cold and include a sore throat, coughing and sneezing, blocked nose and chest pain. For those with mold allergies, the symptoms can be more severe. Living in a home with dampness and mold can cause long-term damage to the respiratory system. To eliminate this hazardous risk ensure that proper damp proofing is in place especially around ventilation areas.

While there are many proven methods to prevent rising damp in the home, once the walls and structure of the home have become damp, it is important to call a professional. In some cases, utilizing dehumidifiers and proper ventilation can eradicate the dampness, but in severe cases damp walls can be a safety risk as it may cause the structure to weaken and become unsafe to live in, so if you suspect that you may have a severe damp problem it is important to call a professional and have the issue dealt with appropriately. Damp proofing your home can be quite expensive, but it is vital to take care of the issue as quickly as possible, because the worse the damage gets, the more expensive it will be to repair.

That being said here are some visible signs to look out for, these will let you know that you have a damp problem.

A damp mouldy smell, this normally occurs when furniture becomes wet and the furniture is not properly dried or when damp walls and floor boards start to get mouldy. Moulds release spores which causes the awkward smell.

Keep an eye open for paint on the walls that appear to be pealing or blistering, very severe cases of damp normally appears as an off white salty residue.

If you have wooden floor boards keep an eye on them and at the first sign of dampness or decay call in a professional. The best type of damp treatment that you can provide your home and at the same time protect your family is by treating your entire home immediately when noticing a problem with the appropriate damp treatment.

Andy Duncan
Latest posts by Andy Duncan (see all)